Alpha Delta Pi was founded on May 15, 1851, at Wesleyan Female College in Macon, Georgia, making it the first secret society in the world for college women. Its founders were Eugenia Tucker Fitzgerald (the first president), Octavia Andrew Rush, Mary Evans Glass, Ella Pierce Turner, Elizabeth Williams Mitchell and Sophronia Woodruff Dews. The organization was originally called the Adelphean Society, named from the Greek word for "sister." In 1905 the name of the Sorority was changed to Alpha Delta Phi and was later changed in 1913 to Alpha Delta Pi Sorority. Today, Alpha Delta Pi has over 130 chapters across the United States and will always ne known as the "first and finest forever."